Monday, June 20, 2005

no questions asked

Every time someone asks me what true love is, I instantly go back to my classroom with our chairs formed in a circle. My Philippine Literature professor’s question “Who here has a girlfriend?” would echo in my mind and I can see my 2 classmates raising their hands. I can hear the class laughing with the 1st guy’s remark “who told you that I love her?” to the question “why do you love your girlfriend?” I can hear my friend saying he doesn’t know why he loves his girlfriend and then my professor saying, “That’s love.” He then proceeded to talking about how love cannot be defined because once you’ve defined why you love someone then it isn’t love anymore. If you say you love someone because he’s kind, then what about the days when he’s unkind? Do you not love him anymore then?

Every time I would try to remember how I fell in love with you, I could only remember feeling a surge of intense emotions until it became unbearable not to see you everyday or not to hold your hand. Then I saw and felt the smallest things and everything made sense. I saw how the sunlight brings out the beauty in your eyes. I was so enthralled in watching you comb your hair that I wore my left shoe on my right foot. The smell of your hair and skin, even your icy stare… they all bring me into a different place where I would always want to stay.

I close my eyes and I see you standing at a garden with our red-brick house at the background and our dogs playing around.

I open my eyes and I see you.

Every time I would try to answer why I love you, my mind goes blank. I don’t know why I love you. Perhaps I will never know why. I just know I do.

happy 15, babe. it will always be your love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home